Retired Navy SEAL Alex Rojas is putting his life back together, one piece at a time. Being a single dad to his young daughter and working at Hope’s Crossing Kennels to help rehab a former guard dog, he struggles every day to control his PTSD. But when Elisa Hall shows up, on the run and way too cautious, she unleashes his every protective instinct.
Elisa’s past never stays in her rearview mirror for long, and she refuses to put anyone else in danger. But with Alex guarding her so fiercely yet looking at her so tenderly, she’s never felt safer . . . or more terrified that the secrets she keeps could put countless people in grave peril. The only way for both to fully escape their demons will take the ultimate act of courage: letting go and learning to trust each other.
“I received a free review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.”
- This may be the second novel in the series but it works very well as a stand alone. The novel effortlessly introduces the other major characters, without detracting from Alex and Elisa’s story.
- There is nothing sweeter than a single father who loves his daughter. Alex would do anything for his daughter, Boom, even as he struggles with his own PTSD. Boom is what keeps Alex going and fighting his own demons.
- Elisa may be a woman on the run, but she is by no means defeated. When she meets Alex and Boom, she finds a reason to have the courage to fight.
- What is great about this couple is that they both need each other. In order to move on with their lives, they both need the strength and support the other one offers.
- There is certainly chemistry between Alex and Elisa! The two however move slowly in their romance, building trust and friendship along the way. Making their passion even hotter!
- I look forward to continuing to read this series and watching the other men at Hope’s Crossing Kennels find love – or realize what’s right in front of them.