Deacon has an ugly history, a history that broke him, leaving him a ghost of a man. Out of necessity, he left the normal world to descend into the criminal world and found he fit. So he stayed. Cold as ice and living off the grid, Deacon has no intention to connect, not with anyone.
Then he returns to some remote cabins in the Colorado Mountains and finds they have new owners. One of them is Cassidy Swallow, a young woman willing to work hard to live her quiet dream in a house by a river surrounded by aspen and pine.
Suddenly, Deacon finds he’s at war. Cassidy’s pull for him to connect is strong. He fights it, but he loses, always coming back for more. But when he does, he gives her nothing.
From the first time she sees him, Cassidy knows Deacon is dead inside. She knows he’s the kind of man who could destroy a woman. But one night when Deacon’s control slips, Cassidy takes a chance.
He might break her. He also might be her dream come true.
- This series is comprised of men who are in need of a good woman. These women force the heroes to take stock of their lives and give them a reason to turn their life around.
- This book is officially our second favorite in the Unfinished Heroes Series. Deacon is second only to Knight in our affections.
- This novel is rather insulated, taking place mainly in one location with interaction from a small supporting cast of characters. This is not a bad thing, we actually enjoyed getting a better sense of the couple. It is a departure from KA’s other narratives.
- We loved watching Cassidy and Deacon’s slow burn relationship develope over the years. Even though their interactions at first are limited, the chemistry between the two is undeniable.
- Deacon’s hesitance to claim Cassidy, due to the life he leads, makes us fall in love with him. When he finally approaches her, he is ready to give up that life and come out of the shadows and be a part of the world again. Deacon is an amazing man to do all of that for his woman. We really loved that he kept Cassidy clean from his life in the underbelly of society.
- Cassidy is a woman who isn’t afraid of hard work and sacrifice, she is someone you both admire and want to emulate. She knows what she wants and doesn’t give up in try to attain it. Even though she thought there was little hope of them coming together, for years she still held onto that dream.
- As animal lovers, we are always happy to read about a couple’s furry friend.
- Warning: Although there is an HEA for Deacon and Cassidy, the novel does have a cliffhanger in the end dealing with drama outside of their relationship.