Since his brother’s death, Benny Bianchi has been nursing his grudge against the woman he thinks led to his brother’s downfall. He does this to bury the feelings he has for Francesca Concetti, his brother’s girl. But when Frankie takes a bullet while on the run with Benny’s cousin’s woman, Benny has to face those feelings.
The problem is Frankie has decided she’s paid her penance. Penance she didn’t deserve to pay. She’s done with Benny and the Bianchi family. She’s starting a new life away from Chicago and her heartbreaking history.
Benny has decided differently.
But Frankie has more demons she’s battling. Demons Benny wants to help her face. But life has landed so many hard knocks on Frankie she’s terrified of believing in the promise of Benny Bianchi and the good life he’s offering.
Frankie’s new life leads her to The ‘Burg, where Benny has ties, and she finds she not only hasn’t succeeded in getting away, she’s doesn’t want to. (via Goodreads.com)
- We are always suckers for novels, that stress the importance of family. The Promise emphasizes that family is not only blood ties, but also those you choose to love.
- In the previous novels of The ‘Burg series, we were on the fence regarding our feelings for Benny. We didn’t really like him, until we got to know him. In this story Benny is made of amazing. He is pretty much the perfect man. A mark of a good man is that they listen. Benny being supportive and listening to Frankie’s many rants, earns him a gold star in our book.
- Poor Frankie what a f-uped family, they are made of crazy! Drama abounds.
- Frankie is a strong awesome women who attracts the crazy, but makes sure to take care of those she loves. She has style and tons of sass. She can kick ass and take names, but knows when to lean on and listen to her man.
- There is a wonderful scene where you get to see a softer side of Sal. He may be a mobster but he does have a big heart.
- We get to see tons of Cal and Vi, spoilers there is a birth and wedding. You also get to see the true beginning of the Keira Winters and Jasper Layne love story. Woven into the narrative are the hot guys of Nightingale Investigations. Happy day!
- Bewared, like most KA novels this book will make you very hungry. Lydia, living in Chi-town, is lover of a good pie, this novel made her so hungry she had to order one with extra pepperoni while reading. While on the east coast, Mrs. Bennet was making delicious pork sandwiches.
- Benny knows how to get a woman to stick around, buy her a puppy. Could Gus get any cuter?
- We’re so excited for the next novel in the series, and that Cheryl is finally going to get her HEA!!!
Mrs. Bennet’s Thoughts:
- “Benny is too good to be true.”